Tuesday 17 January 2012

10 FOR TUESDAYS



Welcome to StudioBookers '10 For Tuesdays' series. Each week we will ask a different independent musician 10 questions relating to their craft, the independent music industry and other music related questions.

For the first edition of '10 For Tuesdays' we have Chris Williams’s a.k.a Cherishport. Cherishport is a singer/songwriter from the south of England. He released his debuted EP ‘Safety In Numbers’ in April of 2011 and plans to release a second in early 2012. A talented guitarist, Cherishport spent the Summer of 2011 gigging and touring all over, playing at festivals, garden parties and anywhere else he could get a gig.

So lets get down to business then.


When did you start playing guitar/singing and what was the main reason behind it?

I started playing guitar around 5/6 years ago now, when I was 12 I think, possibly 13. I was in middle school and bored basically, and my friends were all doing it, so I thought I'd give it a go. I got a cheap guitar and started lessons at my school. It took a few months of frustration, but I got the basics; and then I fell in love with it. I started playing for hours everyday, and tried to progress as much as I possibly could. I've dedicated my life to music ever since.


Tell me a bit more about your music and from this what is your favourite song?

Well, I've always been playing in bands, ever since I first picked up a guitar; and the bands I've been in have always been completely different to one another in sound. I generally enjoy listening to all kinds of music, so naturally over the course of my musical life I've made music of all different kinds, from metal to funk/pop etc. At the moment I'm focused on my acoustic music, I'm really enjoying the independence of playing alone. The acoustic stuff I play is what I like to call alternative acoustic. I try and keep the guitar interesting, as I usually play gigs where I fight for attention with drinkers and conversationalists in bars. This has kept my playing on its toes, and makes every gig a challenge, which keeps my interest. Favourite song is always a very hard question to answer!

Favourite Song: Natasha Beddingfield - Unwritten







Elbow's latest album is in my CD player right now too. And I'm really enjoying two of the tracks in particular, 'The Birds' and 'With Love'.





Look out for part two of this interview which will see Cherishport talking about his favourite choice of collaborations as well as discussing the challenges faced by independent artists.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin