Tuesday 14 February 2012

10 FOR TUESDAYS - ED LEIGH

Welcome back to our '10 For Tuesday's' series. This week we have Preston based producer Ed Leigh. So lets get straight into it.


When did you start making music and what was it that led you to start?
I officially began producing music in around 2008; this was achieved via my brother’s iMac and messing around in Garageband. I like to think I started trying to make my own music when I began playing the guitar, which was at the end of primary school (around 2006). Once I’d learnt a few chords and scales I just loved trying to come up with my own sound.


What software do you use to make music?
I am now an avid Ableton Live user. I did try Reason for a while, which was good, but it didn’t allow me (personally) to utilize the skills I had as a musician as opposed to a producer.

What one piece of software/hardware could you not live without? If you can count a guitar as hardware, I would say that. If not, I would definitely say Ableton.


Who are your main influences both producers and artists?
Surprisingly, one of my biggest influences is Jason Mraz. I love every song that he’s created. If you catch a live performance you’ll see how his confidence just shines through, dripping with energy, and he clearly loves it. When it comes to producers, there are a few more names that pop straight into my head. I really love Four Tet and Bonobo. Also Mount Kimbie are a huge impact on me at the moment with their purely minimal styles fixed with beautifully cut vocal samples, every track leaves you wanting more. I could probably go on forever listing hundreds of artists and producers that have heavily affected/influenced me over the years but it’ll get a tad boring as I’ll just be typing out my iTunes. 





Who would be your favourite artist to collaborate with?
Depending on the circumstances of the collaboration, it depends… I’d really love to do something with Little Dragon or Andreya Triana as they’re both making some really nice music, each having amazingly individual voices to bring to the table. But, if it were simply a jam circumstance, whereby there was an array of instrumentation/equipment to mess around with, I’d have to say Damon Albarn. I could probably write Jason Mraz for any of the artist related questions.





Stay tuned for part two of this interview later this evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin