Tuesday 6 March 2012

10 FOR TUESDAYS - EL. TRAIN

Welcome back to another edition of '10 For Tuesdays.' This week I am going to be putting myself through the vigorous questioning! A little background on myself, I am a producer, I produced both my own stuff as well as production for look bands and also remix work. So lets get into it.


When did you start making music and what was it that led you to start?
My interest in music probably began when I first picket up the guitar aged 14/15. After a while I wanted to be able to record my own stuff so I got myself a copy of FL Studio and began learning about creating beats, playing the keyboard and also using live instrumentation such as my guitar.

What software do you use to make music?
When I started off it was FL Studio but I then bought a Mac and it wasn't possible to use this so I moved onto Logic Pro. The difference between the two pieces of software is day and night, I don't think I'd want to use any other software these days as Logic provides me with everything I need and more!


What one piece of software/hardware could you not live without?
I'm gonna have to say my guitar (if that counts.) It's easy to just pick up the guitar and start crafting song ideas, however with the DAW (Logic, Cubase, Pro Tools) its not really possible to create the music. Also I have an Audio Plugin for Logic called Massive which you can use to create some crazy synths, I'd be lost without that.


Who are your main influences both producers and artists?
Growing up a big influence on me to start learning about production was The Neptunes, their music was so different from everything else on the radio and I wanted to learn how they made their music. More recently I have been really impressed by producer/artist Labrinth, the way he fuses together numerous different genre's is just unheard of. Not only is he a great producer he is also a great songwriter and artist.


Artist wise the list is endless, I love all music from Jamie Cullum to Vampire Weekend to Skream/Benga etc.





Who would be your favourite artists to collaborate with?
I'd have to say probably somebody like Jamie Cullum, it would be so amazing to work with somebody that musically talented and I really think we could come up with something out of the ordinary!





How do you think the internet has helped musicians?
What the internet has done has provided musicians with a global listening base where as before their listening base was so small. It can be argued that the internet has caused the standard of music around to decline due to the high volume of artists on the internet, but in most cases the best do rise to the top, artists that had no way of showcasing their music before can use the internet as a type of promotion (Arctic Moneys, Lily Allen.)


What advice would you give to an up and coming producer/artist from your own experiences?
I think the most important thing to remember is that if you want to do anything, you have to work hard. Their are millions of people that want to make it in music but the ones that stand out are the ones who give it 110%. It is also very important to try and develop your own sound, originality is the key.


If you were stuck on a desert island, who would you want to be stuck with?
I think we've already had this answer before by Cherishport but for me it would have to be Zooey Deschannel, she seems like the happiest most fun person around, if there was anyone who could keep your spirits up i'm sure it would be her. Also she's not half bad looking as well, that would help :-) 


What artists in the chart are you impressed with at the moment?
I really like Lana Del Rey, she is so different to everything else out there. Both her voice and the productions are so unique. Also as I stated above Labrinth is just miles ahead of anybody else in the UK right now.


Finally what do you think about StudioBookers and why would you recommended it to others?
From my own experience playing in bands I know how hard it is to find a studio that can cater for your needs as musicians. StudioBookers provides you with a list of all available studios in your area, information and reviews on these studios and also the ability to book them there and then. The potential that this project has could truly revolutionize the way people find and book music studio and for this reason alone I would definitely
recommend StudioBookers to others.


You can find me on;
Twiter
Soundcloud

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin