Tuesday 20 March 2012

10 FOR TUESDAYS WITH MIKE MOSS

This week we have given singer-songwriter Mike Moss the task of completing our '10 For Tuesdays. So lets get straight into it!

When did you start making music and what was the main reason behind it?
I was at school and I remember going out and buying a 4 track recorder.  I put it in my bedroom alongside my mic and my amp, but I didn’t even own a guitar at this stage!  The first song I ever wrote came from a short composition that a friend of mine had left on that 4 track recorder, combined with a poem I’d written to create a very early version of what is now ‘Morning Call’ on the album. 

Who are your main influences?
My musical tastes are quite eclectic and always have been.  There are obvious choices such as Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, George Harrison, and U2.  On other days you could quite as easily find me listening to Metallica, ACDC, Paul Oakenfold, The Prodigy, or Matt Monro.

Who would be you favourite artist to collaborate with?
My musical imagination gets easily carried away!  I would love to write an amazing stadium rock track with someone like The Edge or Matt Bellamy, or maybe a more soulful number with someone like Adele.  I also think that working with a great producer can really inspire and stretch an artist.




How do you think the internet has helped independent musicians?
In a word, massively.  It’s been the cornerstone of some of the most recent success stories.  Without the internet, you have to wonder whether we would have discovered such talent like Adele, The Arctic Monkeys, or Ed Sheeran.  It’s given people the power of choice and the artist the freedom of expression without boundaries. 

What do you think are the most unique challenges faced by an indie artist?
Lack of music business education.  The thing to remember is that it’s not just about composing music nowadays.  You have to put a business hat on and learn about contracts, licenses, Songshare Agreements, royalty societies, copyright, publishing…I could go on.  Whilst it is easier for someone the other side of the world to hear, like and buy your music than it ever has been, there is a lot to learn in the early days to make sure you protect yourself and your future.  You can see why a lot of bands just give up as it’s hard to wear both hats.  What’s waiting at the other end is worth it though.
If you were stuck on a desert island, which other artist would you want to be stuck with?
If he was alive, George Harrison.  Not only was he a truly great songwriter, he was such a spiritual person.  I think you could gain an incredible amount of knowledge, balance and foresight from someone like him.

What artists in the chart are you most impressed with at the moment?
It may be an obvious choice but you have to say Adele.  What she has achieved is incredible and has shown that the art of writing good songs is still the key to great success.




What do you like to do when you’re not making music?
You’ll find me out in the hills riding my mountain bike, or kicking back with my friends

How important is it to find a studio that suits you when recording?
Incredibly important.  It’s not just the physical environment, although that is important, it’s about the chemistry you have with the people there and whether you can inspire each other to create great music.

What do you think about StudioBookers and why would you recommend it to your friends?
You definitely seem to have your finger on the pulse!  It’s a great place to come to find the latest news about people we know and people we don’t yet, as well as tips to help guide musicians through the maze of information.

You can find Mike's music on;

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin